3/30/2008 10:08:00 PM

A Q&A With A Legend

Posted by Mark McCray |

The New York Post's Steve Serby chatted with Bobby Murcer, who will miss Opening Day at the Stadium tomorrow following a recent health scare related to his 2006 surgery to remove a cancerous tumor in his brain.

Here are a few excerpts from the interview (Click here to read it in it's entirety):

Q: Since you decided to continue your recovery at home in Oklahoma, what would your message be to Yankees fans on Opening Day?

A: The message is I'm sorry I can't be there. I'd love to be there and be part of the ceremony like I have been for so many years. I'm just not as strong as I was last year.

Q: You'll be missed.

A: I won't be missed more than what I'm going to be missing myself. It's been many years since I missed Opening Day. I'll be there next year for sure.

Q: You'll watch this one from home?

A: I'll definitely be watching.

Q: You like this Yankees team?

A: I think it's very interesting, especially with the young pitchers. I'm very excited about that. It can be a great year for the Yankees if those kids are ready to go, which I think they are.

Q: First time you saw Yankee Stadium?

A: I just was mind-boggled by how big it was when I walked out on the field. I thought to myself, "Oh my goodness, how am I ever gonna catch a fly ball in this place?"

Q: Toughest pitcher?

A: Mickey Lolich.

Q: Funniest teammate?

A: Sparky Lyle.

Q: You sang with Willie Nelson?

A: It was terrific for me. I'm not sure what it was like for anybody else (chuckles).

Q: Three dinner guests?

A: Jesus Christ ... I don't need a conversation with anybody else (chuckles).

Q: Favorite meal?

A: Pinto beans, cornbread, and okra.

Q: Favorite singer?

A: Ray Charles.

Q: Favorite actor?

A: Jack Nicholson.

Q: Favorite actress?

A: Julia Roberts.

Q: You have a book coming out: "Yankee For Life: My 40-Year Journey in Pinstripes."

A: I feel so fortunate to have been able to be a part of that championship tradition for so many years. ... If you're gonna be in baseball, you might as well be with the greatest. ... If you were drawing up a script, how would you draw it up any better?

Q: Favorite movie?

A: "Pride of the Yankees."


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Commenting!


Subscribe