3/25/2008 01:02:00 AM

A-Rod: I'm Planting My Roots In New York

Posted by Mark McCray |

Article courtesy of John Harper for the New York Daily News (Click Here To Read Full Story):

As A-Rod looked back on the events of this past offseason, he seemed haunted by the idea that in breaking free of the Yankees he could have made another decision like the one he made in 2000 when he shunned the Met's for the big contract in Texas and wound up being unhappy for three long years.

The three-time MVP says that at some point after his opt-out decision this October, he realized he could have been heading for a similar scenario, with Boras dictating his next destination.

"So to make the right decision just feels really good," Rodriguez said, "versus being taken down a road where I'm like, 'Oh, my God, where am I? Oh, $400 million to play in some place I hate? Great, I'll blow my --- head off.'

"I wanted to remain a Yankee and for once I put my money where my mouth was. It felt good to make a decision on my own and execute it - to deal with Hank and Hal (Steinbrenner) on a one-on-one basis and get a deal done.

"If people want to question why I did it, I don't care because it made me happy. If I had gone to Team X, Y or Z, it wouldn't have made me happy. It would have been because Scott wanted me to go - it would have been for the most money. And then I'm always going to be known as a guy who always wanted the most money."

A-Rod said he was motivated to break free from Boras partly because of his fear that Hank Steinbrenner was serious about closing the door on his possible return to the Bronx, and because he was simply at a different stage of his life compared to when he had signed with the Rangers.

"My wife and daughter both love New York," said A-Rod. "Four days after I opted out (and was living in Miami), my daughter says, 'I really miss my bedroom and my toys in New York.' I wanted to shoot myself. I said to my wife, 'What the --- are we doing?' "

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is a really good article..I really enjoyed reading it. i'm a huge A-Rod supporter and enjoyed reading the quotes. Thanks for updating us

Owner of www.johnmvp.com

Mark McCray said...

John-
Thanks for commenting!!! Glad to see you around these parts!!! I was able to get to your Blog last night and I must say I liked your positive outlook on Baseball so much that I bookmarked your site as soon as I saw it haha.

I try not to do to much of the negative stuff here at The Bronx Stop so please bookmark me or subscribe in the left hand column and come back often!!!

Thank you for commenting!!!

Post a Comment

Thank You For Commenting!


Subscribe