7/17/2008 11:40:00 AM

Damon Hoping To Be Back By Sunday

Posted by Mark McCray |

Ed Price/The Star Ledger:

Johnny Damon said yesterday (Wednesday) he thinks he can rejoin the Yankees lineup "definitely in a week."

"I'm trying to shoot for Sunday," Damon, who has been getting treatment at the Yankees' facility in Tampa, Fla., said by phone. "I would love to be back on Sunday. But we'll just have to see. I think definitely in a week."

Damon is the leadoff hitter and leads the team in doubles (23), hits (100) and stolen bases (13).

"I'm feeling better today," he said. "Two days prior, it wasn't too good because I picked up doing a little more activity. The last two days we curtailed that, just got treatment, and it feels better."

Damon is expected to be ready to hit before he can throw, but the Yankees could use him as a designated hitter until he can return to left field.

"We'll see how I feel (tomorrow)," he said. "Maybe I can start swinging on that day."

Damon said he and the team want to be sure he can play every day when he returns. And he believes he can come off the DL without going on a minor-league rehabilitation assignment.

"I'm mostly a feel guy at the plate," he said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Commenting!


Subscribe