7/29/2008 11:37:00 PM

George Deserves Hall Nod

Posted by Mark McCray |


Kevin Kernan/New York Post:

This was their shining Hall of Fame day, but Goose Gossage and Dick Williams both took time yesterday to say George Steinbrenner needs to be invited to this party some day.

More than anything, this was a Pinstripe Parade, a day for Yankee fans to rejoice and watch Gossage enter the Hall as former Yankees Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Reggie Jackson and Dave Winfield sat behind him on the stage in the largest gathering ever of Hall of Famers, 58.

"I feel very honored to wear a Yankee cap into the Hall of Fame today," Gossage bellowed to the crowd. "I believe some day, Mr. Steinbrenner will be here in Cooperstown with us."

That comment drew strong applause.

"I've been reading articles lately about George possibly going into the Hall of Fame, and I'd like to be on that voting committee because I would vote right away for George," noted Williams, who was briefly hired as manager by Steinbrenner, but that deal fell through because Oakland owner Charles Finley wanted too much compensation.

"I had 10 years with George as a scout and as an advisor, whether you advise George or not, I don't know," Williams added, "but I used to give my opinion, and they were 10 wonderful years."

Sitting in the family section was George's daughter, Jennifer Steinbrenner Swindal. She was genuinely touched by the comments and the entire Hall of Fame experience on this perfect day in this quaint village, the heartbeat of baseball.

"It would mean the world to our family," Jennifer told me of the possibility of her father being inducted into the Hall. She attended the ceremonies with her son Stephen, 19, Yankees COO Lonn Trost and GM Brian Cashman, who drove here from Boston.

Noted Cashman of the Boss, "He's already a Hall of Famer, they just haven't put him in yet."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Commenting!


Subscribe