7/30/2008 03:24:00 PM

Yankees Should Look Very Closely At Gregg Zaun

Posted by Mark McCray |

UPDATE 7:00pm: Well Zaun would have been a good pick up if they didn't get anyone but Pudge but that's exactly what they did. Oh well!!!

Gregg Zaun could be the perfect platoon mate for Jose Molina for the stretch run.

With Jorge completing surgery on his ailing shoulder today, a veteran switch hitting catcher with a better bat and OBS than Moeller could be a great pickup for the Yankees.

Toronto GM J.P. Ricciardi has made it very clear that if anyone wants Zaun they would be more than willing to move him and I really don't think that he would ask for the moon.

If the Yankees are looking for a decent catcher they can snatch up without having to mortage the farm, Gregg Zaun seems like a pretty good match.

Cathal Kelly/TheStar.Com:

Gregg Zaun became the first Blue Jay to openly express interest in leaving the club yesterday when he told mlb.com it would "probably be a good thing" if he were traded to a contender. After beginning the season as the team's frontline catcher, Zaun has recently been relegated to the backup's role by the emergence of Rod Barajas.

"I'm just disappointed that he went to the media with this," general manager J.P. Ricciardi said when told of Zaun's comments. "We have a good enough relationship that he can talk to me."

After Toronto's 3-0 loss last night to Tampa Bay, a game Zaun once again watched from the bench, the plainspoken catcher was asked to respond to the GM's rebuke.

"This shouldn't be a controversial moment for anybody. I just answered a simple question: `Would I welcome a trade,'" an exasperated Zaun said. "It's unfortunate that he feels like I'm addressing it through the media, because I really am not."

The 37-year-old catcher said he had requested a trade from Ricciardi "quite a ways back." Zaun is in the final year of a two-year, $7.25 million (all figures U.S.) deal.

"We'll gladly move him if we can find someone who wants him and that's where we're at," Ricciardi said. "Right now, there's been no takers for him, there's been no inquiries about him."

"I don't want (fans) to perceive me as a selfish player. ... I hope that they'll understand that I want to play. If I can't be out there every day, I would like to go and be on a team that has a good chance to go to the World Series. I'd like to get back to October baseball," Zaun said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Commenting!


Subscribe