10/23/2007 12:14:00 AM

Johan Santana to the Yank's?

Posted by Mark McCray |


I have been wanting to talk about an article I read over at Prosportsdaily.com for a few days now but up until today I haven't had anywhere to do that. Well here goes.

First, I would definitely love to fortify this Yankee starting rotation with Johan Santana do not get me wrong. However, I feel like if this move is to be made they have to be careful with who they want to give up. When I read this article it actually troubled me a little bit. If this has any relevance (and Yankee officials have said it doesn't), I may have to consider buying the Yankee's myself just to avoid the stupidness of it all.

The article claimed that the Yankee's have inquired on Santana and the general consensus is that Chien-Ming Wang, Melkey Cabrera, Ian Kennedy and another top level prospect would be enough to entice Minnesota to move Johan to New York.

What?! I mean...? Are you kidding me? First, Chien-Ming Wang has won 19 games in back to back seasons and was a runner up for the Cy Young last season and a contender this season (and oh yeah- he is 27). Next, why would you give up Melkey Cabrera. Have you not seen that kid's arm and speed in center field. Yeah, and he's only 23 years old. And if that wasn't crazy enough- Ian Kennedy as well? Haha.

Johan Santana went 15-13 with a 3.3 ERA this season. Come on!!! He is a great pitcher...but please....get out of here with that garbage. Trade him to the Indians, I hear they are in the market for an Ace or two!!! Keep the youth...please!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - I have a couple of thoughts on this story. First and foremost, adding Santana would be huge. I even think adding Santana at the expense of Wang is a good idea. With that lineup, Santana would probably win 25 games. If you had Santana, Chamberlain, and Pettitte, back to back to back, you would probably would not need a manager. I agree that Cabrera is untouchable, but maybe Tabata isn't. Maybe they could package two minor leaguers instead of Kennedy, whom I think is a very young Mike Mussina. So the trade would go like this.

Chien Ming Wang
Alan Horne
Bobby Abreu
Jose Tabata


for

Johann Santana

What do you think?

Anonymous said...

With that said, here is the way that I see the Yanks in 08.

Manager - Don Mattingly
Bench Coach - Ron Guidry
Pitching Coach - Dave Eiland
Hitting Coach - Kevin Long
1B Coach - N/A
3B Coach - N/A

Pitch Rotation

1 Johann Santana
2 Joba Chamberlain
3 Andy Pettitte
4 Phil Hughes
5 Ian Kennedy

The Pen

Mike Mussina (Long Relief & Spot)
Luis Vizcaino
Humberto Sanchez
Jeremy Affeldt
Jose Veras
Mariano Rivera

Infield

C Jorge Posada
1B Andy Phillips
2B Robbie Cano
SS Derek Jeter
3B A Rod
LF Hideki Matsui
CF Melky Cabrera
RF Shelly Duncan
DH Johnny Damon/Jason Giambi

You can't get rid of Giambi. I am not sure that I like Damon at DH, but unless they add Barry Bonds, there aren't very many out there.

If A Rod doesn't come back, this is all for naught, and we will have to go back to the drawing board.

Post a Comment

Thank You For Commenting!


Subscribe